God calls us to make our churches safe places, protecting children and other vulnerable persons from abuse. The 2005 GNJ Annual Conference resolved that every church have a Safe Sanctuaries policy and be compliant with its regulations.
Clergy Candidates Background Check: please download the application by clicking [PDF] or [MS Word]
Please fill out form and mail to Lida DeNardo at 1001 Wickapecko Dr. Ocean, NJ 07712. Please send payment of $36.50 with application. Please make the check out to GNJAC. Applications cannot be processed without payment!
Steps to Obtain a Background check for Laity ONLY!! (Paid and Volunteer).
It's Easy.... Just follow the steps.... automatic results
- Click here to begin applying for a background check: https://www.smart-trak.com/GNJUMC.aspx?code=GNJUMC
- Once you receive the email follow the instructions to obtain the Child Protection background check or the Child Protection Plus (Motor Vehicle Check) Background check through Trak-1 Technologies.
- Remember your username and password. This information will allow you access to your Trak-1 account at all times.
- Payment is based on a self pay model by Credit card through the Trak-1 website.
- Child Protection Background Check: $11.00 + $2.99 Transaction fee to Trak-1 Technologies
- Child Protection Plus: $18.00 + Any applicable state access fee + $2.99 transaction fee to Trak-1 Technologies (for those who will ever transport children, youth and/or vulnerable adults)
If you need assistance with obtaining the background check, Trak-1 can be reached at 1- 800-600-8999.
Steps to become a Safe Sanctuaries Compliant Church
- Purchase Safe Sanctuaries: Reducing the Risk of Abuse in the Church for Children and Adults by Joy Melton 2008. (available through Cokesbury)
- Create a Safe Sanctuaries Policy, have policy certified by the Conference Safe Sanctuaries Coordinator by sending to the conference office and submit Certification to annual Local church/charge conference meeting.
- Have all adults (laity and clergy, paid and volunteer) working with children, youth and vulnerable adults participate in a Safe Sanctuaries training and complete a background check through Trak-1 Technologies.
- Implement policy, review and celebrate annually.
Online Safe Sanctuaries Training Now Available!
The Greater NJ Conference, in partnership with Trak-1 Technologies and Rev. Joy Melton- creator of Safe Sanctuaries, offers online Safe Sanctuaries trainings. This training is designed for all workers (paid and volunteer) of children, youth and/or vulnerable adults to learn the importance of preventing abuse in the church. This training costs only $12.99 and returns a certificate of training to each participant. The process is the same as requesting background checks...it is that simple!!
This training meets the recommend training requirement of all GNJAC Safe Sanctuary Polices.
To begin your training go to https://www.smart-trak.com/gnjumc/default.aspx
Follow the instructions on the page to create an account. Once logged in, choose the training course option.
We pray this training opportunity will open more possibilities for you and your church as you continue to be a Safe Sanctuary for all of God's children.
Questions? Contact Erica Munoz at 732-359-1042 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps to writing a local church Safe Sanctuaries Policy
- Develop a Safe Sanctuaries Task force or team in the local church.
- Review Sample Safe Sanctuaries Policy (download below)
- Create a policy that fits the needs and the ministries at the local church level. This policy should include what is in the sample policy.
- Have policy approved by Local church Trustees and/or Administrative Council.
- Submit policy to Greater NJ Conference Safe Sanctuaries Coordinator to obtain a policy certificate of compliance.
- Submit certificate to annual church/charge conference.
Do you need more information?
- For Questions about Background Checks: contact Trak-1 Technologies at 800.600.8999 (download below)
- For Questions about Safe Sanctuaries Policies and Trainings: contact Erica Munoz, Children, Youth and Young Adult Coordinator, 732-359-1042 (toll-free 1-877-677-2594, ext 1042) or Emunoz@gnjumc.org.
- For more information about Safe Sanctuaries visit the General Board of Discipleship website at www.gbod.org
- To order Safe Sanctuaries materials visit www.Cokesbury.com
- To obtain a copy of a background check already processed through Lexus Nexus, please contact them directly at 877.913.6245.
- Greater NJ Conference Safe Sanctuaries Policy [PDF]
- Sample Safe Sanctuaries Policy [PDF] [RTF]
- Policy on Public Internet Sites [PDF]
- Indicators of Child Abuse / Neglect [PDF]
- MV State Fees [PDF]
- Trak-1 Support Information [PDF]
- FAQs about the Background Check Requirement [PDF]
- Authorization Form and Application [PDF] [WORD]